Wednesday, May 2, 2007

E-Research and What it Means to Me

As I somewhat clumsily elucidated in class on Monday, I see e-research as occurring in several different ways:

*The creation of flexible and easily managed remote data-stores for use between several researchers looking at similar issues or topics.

*The utilization of knowledge-creation models which focus on remote collaboration.

*The utilization of web technologies in research, enabling such activities as online ethnography and online network analysis.

Umm… I came up with a couple of more examples while I was walking to Big Time with my computer to eat lunch, have a beer, and type this up, but that’s all I can remember right now. Still that’s a decent if simplistic list, and must have some basis in reality.

So I am still considering how I should attempt to utilize e-research methods in my own research project, and will no doubt come up with ways while I am learning more about the possibilities of e-research. One thing that stands out as a possibility is conducting some web network analysis once I have identified some sources where visitors to Amsterdam are getting information about the Netherlands and the opportunities for extra-curricular activities that exists there.

And that’s all I got right now. Hmm… I wonder if Chase has any good ideas…

No comments: